Thursday, March 10, 2011

Featherston & Florence

2 Australian design icons.. our very own mid-century modern master Grant Featherston and eccentric wallpaper maven,  Florence Broadhurst together!

One of my prized Grant Featherston chairs with a bit of lumber support from a Florence Broadhurst cushion from Signature Prints!
I know that this particular chair was supposed to have a small rectangular cushion in the same fabric in the lumber area, but I just threw my little piece of Florence on instead!

Back in the 1970's my mother who was an interior decorator, met Florence and went on a boat cruise with her on the Gold Coast's Broadwater. She remembers how larger than life she was and that she supposedly had a penchant for collecting not only men but, wait for it...fire engines!!

What a wonderful treasure from our design history!  Thanks to the passionate foresight of the owners of Signature Prints, Helen and David Lennie.  Apparently they stumbled over Broadhurst's original wallpaper screens in a disused factory in Sydney a number of years ago and I think they can be congratulated with helping to spearhead the revival of wallpaper world wide!!

Florence Broadhurst has become the worldwide design icon she deserved to be when she was alive! 

Grant Featherston furniture has become a very sought after Australian mid-century antique fetching incredible prices at recent auctions!








My home featuring Featherston, Florence and some of my West German pot Collection.




Hipsters, Helen and David Lennie from Signature Prints



Florence's silver Mylar paper in Daphne Guiness's apartment in Architectural Digest


My Featherston at home yesterday!

My Featherston with Scott Redford work shot a few years ago at my previous home on vintage wallpaper:  not Florence Broadhurst I'm afraid but left over from a Gold Coast apartment foyer from the 1970's!








3 comments:

  1. oh i love your german pottery collection! gorgeous just need to remember to bring a really large handbag next time i visit your home! that vintage 1970's wallpaper is fabulous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Featherston chair,lookin' good against the gorgeous, and wild, papered background.
    I just love Red!
    Florence Broadhurst was indeed a very creative lady!
    'A life by design'
    the art and and lives of Florence Broadhurst,
    Author Siobhan O'Brien.
    Story of Broadhusts' life from beginning to bitter end.
    Great Read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all f these photos :)
    nice blog:)

    hope you can come by and check out my blog on:
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/2187105/glamourgirl
    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your input is always valued. And I do love a good chat!
However, please refrain from leaving comments which are intended as advertising or self promotional content.

JWE

The Decorator

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...