Monday, August 8, 2011

Tati's Modernist Perfection

Do you ever feel like Madame Arpel from
Jacques Tati's 1958 classic Mon Oncle?

Anyone for a saucer chair?




The good wife bidding farewell to her husband
 from their perfect modernist box and their perfect modernist garden!
 



The Fish Sculpture Fountain must always be switched on for special visitors!

Built for ultimate 'comfort'...one must always impress important guests!

Absolute perfection?  Now where do I get my hands on the coloured pebble?

Staircase ... sublime!


I saw this film a number of years ago and was touched not only by Tati's comic genius and wonderful design aesthetic, but also his critique on modern life.

This hysterically charming film illustrates the pitfalls of postwar modernism, the obsession with consumerism, and the constant desire to achieve the ultimate aesthetic.


Oh dear!  Not much has changed and I find myself strangely identifying with this......


words J Watson-Evans
The Decorator

via Youtube, Interior Design.com

3 comments:

  1. I think it is my absolute all time favourite film. We were shown it at uni in an architecture history lecture, and were told to always keep it in my mind throughout our careers!

    It's so brilliantly clever and witty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love this film!
    I always remember the clippety clop of the secretary's heels on the pavement at the plastics factory.
    I really want to see this again.
    Where do I get this film?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blue Fruit

    Yes wonderful film...but beauty and function must always co-exist.....up to a point!!!

    J x

    ReplyDelete

Your input is always valued. And I do love a good chat!
However, please refrain from leaving comments which are intended as advertising or self promotional content.

JWE

The Decorator

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...