Friday, July 15, 2011

Ettore Sottsass Last Stand

I remember being very excited about the colour and eccentric kitschy aesthetic of Memphis design
 in the early to mid 1980's!
While I was learning about the restrained functionality of the early 20th Century design classics of say
 Le Corbusier and Rennie Mackintosh, the work of
Memphis came and smacked me in the eye!

It was the '80's, it was the Gold Coast, and I was in my early twenties.
The influence of Memphis led by one of its founders the late
Ettore Sostass, was far reaching.

I remember swanning around in my Katie Pye's
and watching Miami Vice....I think you get the picture!




Remember this.....

Ettore Sottsass Memphis Design crazy 'Carlton Bookcase' 1981



Ettore Sottsass last collection:
 Un picolo omaggio a Mondrian designed by the late Sottsass before he died in 2007.






 Ettore Sottsass Un piccolo omaggio a Mondrian currently on show at Friedman Benda NYC


Images via italychronicles.com; Wallpaper & Friedman Benda NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is always valued. And I do love a good chat!
However, please refrain from leaving comments which are intended as advertising or self promotional content.

JWE

The Decorator

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...